Thursday, October 9, 2014

What Goes Around Comes Around

So it's really late... Maybe not for a college student, but it's still pretty late nonetheless. In this late hour, I started reading a little bit of Snowball, and thought about what my lecturer in my Labor and Employment Relations had to say about how Unions absolutely hate the idea of subcontracting, as if it were some evil force that will drive America into the ground.

Anyway, I began thinking about what he said... Something on the lines of "Unions hate subcontracting and outsourcing because it takes jobs away from people in certain industries, and gives them to people in other countries like Germany, Italy and China...

Now, I want to refer back to my last blog post in which I discussed the stagnant economies of Europe, and how their decline is affecting the United States. So for a minute, I thought, "Yeah we need to keep jobs in the United States," but then, I thought, maybe outsourcing is something that will help to get the world's economy back to a more stabile position. 

Now, I'm sure many would argue with this idea, and fire back with something like "That's an outrage to even believe that exporting jobs in manufacturing is good for the growth of America!" This is perfectly fine. Opposing views is what keeps competition stiff. And with that, I believe that in such a stagnant period we are in now, that maybe there is room for consideration to turnover certain manufacturing jobs to Europe. 

I want to get to my reasoning. Yes, at first, doing something like this seems very steep, dramatic, and even toxic to America. Yes, employment has gone down, but take into consideration that those individuals choosing not to pursue employment, are no longer considered in the unemployment numbers. A possible real fix to such an issue of unemployment may in fact be to subcontract and outsource a certain quota of jobs to European countries, in knowing that getting their economies better will, in turn, stimulate our economy, bringing jobs in manufacturing back to the United States, and creating better economic prosperity to European nations. 

Going back to my last blog post, I think that there would definitely be reciprocal movement when dealing with the economies of Europe and that of our own. In an overall simple statement, our markets are co-dependent, so when they prosper, in turn, ours could very well see a brighter future for employment opportunity as our markets begin to recover.

Thanks for reading! I hope that this post gave some insight into some of the economic issues set on the current global stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment